I love food and I love the way healthy choices can energize and nourish my body. I follow a vegetarian diet (pescetarian to be exact). I have been eating this way for a while now and enjoy this choice for my life. (I am not a dietician or fitness expert and just want to share my life choices.)
Here are my favorite health foods:
- Eggs and egg whites
- Whole grain breads and english muffins
- Sweet Potatoes
- All vegetables!
- All fruit!
- Almond butter
- Almond milk
- Black beans
- Chia seeds
- Kashi Go Lean cereals
- Greek yogurt
Here are some of my favorite foods in moderation of course ;):
- Dark chocolate
- Frozen yogurt
- Any kind of cookie!
- Candy too
I do not have a bodytype where I can eat freely and expect not to gain weight. I try not to obsess over everything I put in my mouth, but I have developed strategies that work for me to stay balanced in my eating.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a change at restaurants. (Dry toast, salad instead of fries, dressing on the side, etc).
- Consider your splurges and plan ahead. If you know you are going to a birthday party and will want to enjoy a slice of cake, then have a lighter lunch and no other sweets.
- Know your problem areas. I can’t be controlled around nut butters, I love em! So I try different strategies like allowing myself one serving a day or buying lower fat versions (Better N’ Peanut Butter).
- If I feel myself getting out of control with portions or snacks I will use a type of food journal to get back on track. I like Lose It app on my iphone. It is easy and quick for me to use when I’m teaching.
- Plan ahead! I try to cut up my fruits and veggies right away after getting home from the grocery store. I also like to prep my lunches for school the night before. I need to make it a habit this upcoming year too!
- I try not to deprive myself of anything or I will want it that much more. If someone around me is having icecream at night and I can’t stop thinking about it I might have a small portion. The other day I added one spoonful or icecream to a vanilla greek yogurt and that did the trick!
What are your favorite healthy eating tricks?
Do you have favorite healthy foods? How about splurges?