I am officially done teaching for the summer! I have lots plans and ideas for a healthy and fun summer that I will share soon. Also, we are busy with the process of purchasing our house. I want to work on being well-rounded with my workouts, including strength, yoga/stretching, and different forms of cardio.
I have been incorporating strength training back into my workout routines. I have been aiming for 1-2 times a week and starting with pretty low weights and reps. Here is a sample strength set that I have been using lately.
Set 1 (Repeat through 3 times, rest 60 seconds betweens sets)
- Upright rows (dumbbells 10lbs, 12 reps)
- Plank (45 seconds)
- Walking lunges (20 total, alternating sides & 8lb dumbbells in hands)
Set 2 (Repeat through 3 times, rest 60 seconds betweens sets)
- Bicep curl to overhead press (dumbbells 10lbs, 12 reps)
- Oblique twists on the ground with weighted ball (25 total)
- Deadlifts (12 lb dumbbells, 12 reps)
Set 3 (Repeat through 3 times, rest 60 seconds betweens sets)
- Pushups (12 total)
- Crunches (slow, 25 total)
- Squats (holding 12 lb dumbbells, 12 reps)
This would be a good workout for anyone just starting to lift weights or getting back into it. Each set combines one arm, one core, and one leg exercise to target the whole body. The sets have limited rest time to keep an aspect of cardio during the session.
Here is a picture of our new Whey protein powder that Kevin picked up. It combines and tastes much better than our previous powder from Target.
What is your favorite body part to strengthen?
Do you like cardio or strength training better?